Friday, July 30, 2010

Peter has now been redirected toward the exit!

The ECV procedure worked! Thank you to all of you who were praying for us on Wednesday. We got to the hospital about thirty minutes early on Wednesday and I was checked into labor and delivery. It was kind of neat that we got to be in one of the rooms and see everything so we will (hopefully) be nice and prepared for the big day since we hadn't had a hospital tour yet or anything like that. They got me hooked up to iv and fetal monitors and we waited. Waiting is apparently the theme on the childbirth floor. Dr. Golden came by and reminded me of what we'd be doing then I got a shot to relax my uterus and we waited. It's funny, the medicine they give you is like adrenaline so it makes your whole body shaky and your heart beat fast but it stops your contractions and relaxes your belly. Then after some more waiting Ultrasound came and confirmed where the baby was (and that he's still a boy!). Then the doctor came back and boom bang... baby is facing down. Well, it wasn't quite as easy as that, but I was prepared for it to be much worse. Honestly getting the iv put in was probably worse then all the tummy squeezing. Paul got to hold my hand during the procedure and then the doctor just sort of presses on your tummy until he gets the baby squeezed between his hands and then cranks him around. Ultrasound checks every few inches to make sure the head is moving correctly. It only took about five minutes to get him turned and then the doctor held him down for a few more minutes. It's amazing to me that with all the technology we have, this relatively simple procedure was the best option. Dr. Golden was amazing and I guess that made it much more bearable. After they were done they give you pitocin to restart your contractions and boy did that work?! After some more waiting and being monitored I got to go home with baby firmly planted downward. All together we were at the hospital for about four hours and I'm really glad we decided to do it. Now I have a much better chance of a vaginal birth (though still not guaranteed). Please continue to pray that the baby does not flip back (that can happen, though rarely) and now that he is facing the exit, he needs to make his way downward and actually fit! Now we continue to wait until I go into labor on my own. I've had all the right signs to be progressing that way, it's just a matter of hours, days, or weeks now! I'm feeling much better mentally and emotionally (which helps physically) knowing he's not breech anymore and I've got a little bit of a second wind knowing that he can come soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Im glad it worked! Yay!

    One tip about labor... Stay at home and labor as long as you possibly can take it! It's much more comfortable at home than in the hospital, anyways. :) I labored for 22 of the 27 hrs at home until I seriously could not take the pain anymore. I'm glad I did, the doctor even said that's why I had such a smooth delivery.

    ReplyDelete