Thursday, February 3, 2011

"So what's it like being a mom?"

New moms, I'm sure you've heard this question before... "so what's it like being a new mom?"

If I'm being honest, the answer really depends on how my day has been, how well he has eaten, how well he has slept, etc. The best answer I think I can give is that being a mom is really hard and sometime it sucks, but being PETER'S mom is amazing!

Peter is the most amazing baby in the world. He is so happy and beautiful. I spend most of my day praising God for blessing me with such a sweetheart. I do not deserve such a wonderful baby but I also know that the Lord knows how much we can handle and He knows I probably couldn't have dealt with worse.

Like I said, being a mom is hard. I never could have imagined it would be this hard. Not just physically taxing, but mentally and emotionally as well. I've heard people say that being a mom is a "full time job"... I wish it was only 40 hours a week! Even when he is sleeping and even when someone else is watching him, I'm never really "free" of him. I'm always thinking about when he will eat again, when he will sleep again, when the last time he had a change of clothes or diaper, where he will be when he needs these things. Not to mention his future! Breastfeeding adds another dimension because not only does he need to eat, but I have to either feed him or pump for my body to keep making milk. I don't think anyone (even those who help someone else raise a baby) can really understand what it's like until you raise one. And I don't pretend to know or have all the answers (far from it!). We are just taking each day as it comes.

Now to the JOY!! I love being Peter's mom. Sometimes he will just look over at Paul or I and his eyes will light up with a smile. My mere presence delights him and that is such a wonderful feeling. It is so easy to get swept up in his love that I must make an active effort not to put my love for Peter above my love for Paul. I love to see each little development he makes. New sounds, new movements, new skills. He surprises us and himself almost every day. He also loves other people and I really like how he makes them happy too. I love to share him with others and see how he brightens their day. I just can't believe God has entrusted this sweet little thing to me to take care of. I pray each and every day that I will safeguard him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment