Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cloth Diapers: The Adventure Begins....

Before Peter was born I considered the idea of cloth diapering (cheaper, better for the environment, cheaper, good prep for possible mission living, cheaper... what else? oh yeah, it's cheaper), but my dad gave me some really good advice: use the easy disposable while he's little and you'll be changing him 100 times a day and then when things have settled down you can consider cloth. Well the time has arrived... things have settled down and I am reconsidering cloth.

Well, I'm not really considering any more, I've decided... cloth it is! I have an amazing friend (Ashley Heath) who is helping me get started. Her baby, Sarah, is a few weeks younger than Peter and she has been doing cloth for a while now. She has taught me all about it, sent me pics, written directions, and even sent me all the prefolds and covers I need! Yeah, didn't I say she was amazing? You wish she was your friend, don't you? So my prefolds arrived in the mail on Tuesday. 30 unbleached size 15-30 pound prefolds.....

















Don't be freaked out (by Paul or the diapers), you probably noticed the first two things I noticed... they are huge and they are brown!

The brown is because they aren't bleached (less chemicals=good). They got much smaller in the prewashing process.

Speaking of prewashing... they have to be prewashed to strip out all the natural oils in the fabric and make them soft and absorbent. The brochure that came with them says to wash (and dry) them 5-7 times in very hot water. Ashley assured me that you could knock out a bunch of those washes by boiling them first. "Boiling" water=many times better than "hot" water. So here's the very stinky diapers boiling in my kitchen















It looks like something you would feel obligated to eat on a missions trip.

So now they've gone through one wash cycle and are drying. I just checked and they feel so soft and nice. Ashley is sending me the covers soon so I'll let you know how they go. At first we will probably just use cloth at home during the day and he will still sleep in disposable and go out in them. I just don't feel good leaving him with other people and asking them to deal with that. Fortunately (read: praise God who is so good) we have not had to buy ANY diapers and I still have FOUR BOXES and a couple packages of disposables so we are definitely good for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment